Singing Earth Pottery workshops
On the Singing Earth workshop, we will be focusing on unique projects, making your own musical instruments
ranging from Udu to Shamanic frame drums, Ceramic rattles and much more...
Udu Drum making
- The name “Udu” is derived from the Igbo people language of eastern Nigeria, meaning pottery. This method of drum making originates from the old African pottery tradition of coiling, burnishing and wood-firing.
Each Udu drum is unique; depending on the thickness of the pot, the size of the chamber and the length of the trunk, Udu drums can produce distinct tonal effects which range from subtle bass to soothing tabla-like tones. The rhythms are simple and comforting, timeless yet familiar. The sound is full, fluent and resonant with that of Mother Earth and the heartbeats of its maker. Udu drums are usually played on the player’s lap or on the floor placed over a cushion, by hitting on any part of the drum with the palm or fingertips of one hand, while the other hand controlling the air flow through the side and top holes.
How the course is organised?
- This workshop is suitable for all levels of pottery enthusiasts.
- Here, you will learn how to hand build your own drum using coiling and slab-molding methods.
- The first part of the session is about making the drum’s body ready for decorating and burnishing later in the day.
- This workshop also covers shamanic journeying for finding your power symbols and a beautiful Reiki ritual for consecrating your completed drum.
- We will be using a special clay (choice of red or gray) which behaves as normal pottery clay suitable for firing and glazing (optional extra) or take you drum home and leave it undisturbed for 48 hours to cure (self-harden) on its own.
- if you are already attending the "Pottery Techniques & Development of Ideas" course, you can join this workshop %10 less its normal price.
- You will also learn all about decorating methods, as well as burnishing (creating a delicate shine) for finishing your drum.
- The drum you create will become your “power instrument”, adorned with the symbols that you have discovered through a guided meditation and pathworking.
- Before closing the day, we will connect with the Reiki Energy to bless our drums, for producing happy vibrations on its every beat.
Venue & time
This workshop is held at Earthbeat Studio (West London) 10.00 am -5.00 pm .
on selected Sundays- also available for individuals on one to one bases.
For all enquiries please send an email to: email@example.com or contact the studio 020 8811 1556 between 9.00am and 6.00pm